Is your fridge full of junk and in need of a makeover? Learn how to stock the perfect fridge with these rules!
Rule #1: Stock Up on Essentials
- Eggs: They contain healthy cholesterol and are good for your heart.
- Milk: If you go for dairy, choose 2%. Hemp and almond milk are also good choices.
- Whole grain bread: Choose a loaf with at least 3 grams of fiber per slice.
Rule #2: Color Your Fruit and Vegetable Drawers
Your fruit and vegetable drawers should contain every color of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, purple and brown.
- Red peppers, tomatoes, apples
- Spinach and kale
If you can’t fit all of this produce in your produce drawer, remember that you can also choose frozen vegetables.
Rule #3: Makeover Your Dairy Drawer
Remove the temptation to binge on high-fat cheeses by buying cheeses that are big on flavor or naturally contain less fat. Or, better yet, snack on Greek yogurt instead.
- Shredded or grated Parmesan: You don’t have eat a lot to experience the flavor.
- Goat cheese: Delicious and creamy with less fat and calories than cow’s milk cheeses.
- Greek yogurt: This staple is high in protein and great for cooking.
Rule #4: Pack Your Fridge With Protein
Replace ground beef as your family’s go-to protein with one of these leaner options:
- Chicken: Lean breasts and rotisserie are both good options.
- Lean turkey: If you buy lunch meat, look for brands with no added nitrates, or choose ground turkey as a beef substitute.
- Tofu: Try extra firm if your family is trying it for the first time.
Rule #5: Chill Your Condiments
Choose condiments that have a long shelf life and health benefits, including:
- Jarred garlic
- No sugar added fruit preserves
*Picture and article not written by me
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar.
- Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
- Live with the 3 E’s - Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy
- Play more games.
- Read more books than you did in 2011.
- Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
- Sleep for 7 hours.
- Take a 10-30 minutes walk daily. And while you walk, smile.
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- Don’t have negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
- Don’t over do. Keep your limits.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip.
- Dream more while you are awake.
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- Forget issues of the past. Don’t remind your partner with his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don’t hate others.
- Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Realize that life is a school and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.
- Smile and laugh more.
- You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
- Call your family often.
- Each day give something good to others.
- Forgive everyone for everything.
- Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
- Try to make at least three people smile each day.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
- Do the right thing!
- Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- The best is yet to come.
- Your Inner most is always happy. So, be happy.